The current flagship router capable of flashing the Opensource DDWRT & OpenWRT firmware since December 2016 is the Linksys WRT3200ACM MU-MIMO. If you are not familiar with DD-WRT router firmware, it is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible usage while at the same time supporting a multitude of functionalities which are seen mostly on higher end business routers.
Since June 2, 2016 the FCC implemented new requirements for wireless device manufacturers to disallow wireless devices to interfere with certain 5GHz bands. Therefore most wireless device manufacturers are making it near impossible to flash third party firmware. This is just the easiest way to comply with government regulations, eliminating the possibility of their brand being able to operate outside of the licensed radio frequency bands. Linksys understood the importance to let router enthusiasts create features and share them with others, and of course the opportunity to satisfy a portion of the market. Linksys has provided the technical information and code to implement support for the new WRT3200ACM for openWRT firmware, making this router one of the most powerful off the shelf routers running DD-WRT firmware. Some of the features using DD-WRT include:
- Set up a secure VPN for your entire network
- Turn the router into a web server
- Create and manage hotspots
- Capture, analyze, and manage network traffic
- Detect network intrusion
- Access TOR network for anonymous browsing
- Block hosts and websites by using hosts file blocklists on your router
- Adjustable antenna power to increase your wireless spectrum
- Configure the router as a Wi-Fi hotspot for your business or neighbors with a verification integrating Chillispot or NOCATSPLASH.
- Employ many other advanced features!
Doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz on all spatial streams.
Promotes simultaneous high-speed data processing.
OPEN SOURCE READY
Easily configure using browser-based configuration utility, or customize with Linux-based Open Source capabilities.
Latest Wireless-AC technology for simultaneously streaming and gaming on multiple devices.
SIMULTANEOUS DUAL BAND (2.4 + 5 GHz)
Operates on either band to help avoid interference.
USB 3.0 PORT
Share files and add external storage across your network with the USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 offers enhanced speeds over 2.0.
Offers added convenience. Also accommodates USB 2.0.
GIGABIT ETHERNET PORTS
Transfer data 10x faster than Fast Ethernet, ensuring high-speed connectivity for wired devices.
Installing DD-WRT on the LINKSYS3200ACM
Always check the DD-WRT forum before flashing. This is a fairly new router, firmware changes and problems could arise.
- Search the DD-WRT database for “WRT3200ACM” Download both files: “Webflash image for initial installation” and “Webflash image“.
- Log into the router and go to “Connectivity” in the left pane, click “Choose File“, point the path to the “Webflash image for initial installation“, then “Apply“.
- While still in “Connectivity” in the left pane, click “Choose File“, point the path to the “Webflash image“, then “Apply“.
- If upgrade is successful, click “Continue” and wait. The router will reboot.
- You will be prompted to log back into the router. The default login credentials for DD-WRT are Username: root, Password: admin. If you are not prompted to log back in you need to go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and login from there.
- Once in DD-WRT, go to “Administration“, “Firmware Upgrade“, “Browse” and select the “Webflash image” from your computer, click “Upgrade“
- Do a 30-30-30 reset (Hard reset), information about this type of reset is here.