If you are serious about holding crypto assets you should consider using a hardware wallet for better security and peace of mind. You can also view our Swiss Bank Account in Your Pocket article for other secure means to have and hold your crypto assets.
Hardware wallets do not physically store your coins on the hardware, they just provide the secure gateway in which to access them on the blockchain away from any third party or middleman.
Before you use any hardware of software wallet, make sure you have your seed/key backed up before use and before any firmware updates. This is the point of a hardware wallet, to have your seed/keys in your control only.
Below are the current crypto asset hardware wallets available on the market. They appear in no specific order. If you use any of these, please comment on your experience.
Last updated: 2 September 2018.
- Trezor is a USB 2.0 device compatible with Windows, Linux and macOS (10.8 or higher).
- Supports more than 500 coins.
- Built in security.
- Easy to use.
- PIN protection. Paper wallet backup for immediate recovery of your assets in case of loss or destruction of the device.
- Trezor code is open-source and technical decisions are discussed with the wider developer community. Everything can be audited by an independent third party. This ensures that Trezor is absolutely transparent and backdoor-free.
Trezor Model T
- Same features as Trezor and more added.
- Allows more use without a paired PC or phone.
- On Trezor data & file encryption * (Comming soon).
- Included password manager to store your passwords on device.
- Bright color LCD – 240×240 pixels.
- The Model T can also serve as your U2F hardware token. In comparison to standard tokens, Trezor fully utilizes its screen to inform you about the authentication request before you approve it. It is also backed up with your seed.
- Supports 30 coins click for list.
- Easy touch screen for all operations.
- Allows you to manage up to 11 assets simultaneously with the same hardware wallet.
- Your crypto assets stay safe even if you lose your Ledger Blue. A confidential recovery phrase backs up your device, and your accounts can easily be restored on any Ledger device.
- Tamper resistant case and design.
- Power on self test assures secure chip has not been compromised.
Ledger Nano S
- Supports 40+ crypto assets, click for list.
- Intuitive navigation: all actions are controlled by only 2 buttons.
- Tamper resistant case.
- Secure chip protects private keys.
- 4 word recovery phrase to regain access to your assets. Stores your private keys, which enable you to authorize transactions with any crypto asset.
- CoolWallet S: World’s first Complete wireless syncing via encrypted Bluetooth hardware wallet, allowing you to securely send and receive cryptocurrencies. Waterproof, Durable, Flexible, and Credit Card Size fitting in any regular wallet or purse. It connects to iPhone or Android and has a clear e-Paper display to check balances and confirm transactions.
- Private keys are backed up on a recovery sheet of 18 unique numbers/words. Easy restoration on any CoolWallet S device or BIP39/BIP44 compatible wallets.
- Multi-coin Support: Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), EOS (EOS)
- Free, over-the-air currency support updates — new currency support every month. No need to purchase an additional wallet.
- Equipped with “military grade” security and durability. EAL5+ Certified with Bluetooth capabilities.
- Great Battery Life. Single charge lasts for up to 2 weeks with continuous use. Takes 1.5 hours to fully charge.
- Store unlimited bank cards, credit cards and Cryptocurrencies.
- Hardware and software security built in. Storage and transaction system is a separate isolated operating system.
- OraSaifu will Self-erase all your information and data after 5 passwords fail attempts.
- Comes with a NFC backup option. The NFC enabled BiPal can provide an easy and reliable backup and recovery solution.
- Easily switch between Bank Card Mode and Cold Wallet Mode by rebooting your device and select the mode you want in the initial interface.
- Make effortless NFC payments where supported.
- 7 days of battery life, with 1 hour fast charge to 95%
- Secures bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ethereum, litecoin, dogecoin, dash and multiple erc-20 tokens. Click for list.
- KeepKey’s firmware is 100% open source.
- KeepKey works with the wallet software on your computer by taking over the management of private key generation, private key storage, and transaction signing.
- Backup and Recovery: During initialization, you are given the one-time opportunity to write down a backup of your KeepKey in the form of a twelve-word recovery sentence. If your KeepKey is lost or stolen, you can safely recover your device and its bitcoins without compromising the security of your private keys.
- Works on PC, Mac, Linux, and Android
- SpartaCard includes an encrypted smart card chipset, a tamper-proof and secure element which stores private cryptocurrency keys.
- Customers must enter a PIN in order to access and authenticate any transactions, providing a much greater level of security. Pin scrambles with each new entry to unlock.
- Panic Pin enables user to lock down account if under duress.
- incorrect PIN is entered on three consecutive attempts, SpartaCard will automatically wipe the contents of the secure element chipset.
- Uses industry standard BIP39 mnemonic secret recovery phrase.
- Currently supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin and Bitcoin Cash.
- SpartaCard Merchant Services are easy to use. Merchants and Customers can complete transactions within seconds.